Friday, December 9, 2011

Teacher Profile: Kim Sin

If you want to get your heart beating and your breath moving during the week, one of Kim Sin's lunchtime classes at yoga mayu is just what you need. Get to know Kim a little better with this month's Teacher Profile:

Where are you from?
Sacramento, CA

When and why did you start practicing yoga?
I took my first class at 19 years old. I used to study dance. When I stopped dancing, I searched for a means to stay active. I disliked yoga at first, but grew to really love it six years later.

How long have you been teaching yoga, and where were you trained?
I've been teaching yoga for two years. I initially trained in Santa Monica with YogaPoser. My second and most impactful training was here in SF with my teacher Jason Crandell.

How long have you been teaching at yoga mayu?
I've been teaching for a year at yoga mayu.

Why do you teach?
I teach because I love yoga. It's changed my life in huge and small ways. If I can help someone to experience a sense of union or calm for a short or extended amount of time, then I'm personally satisfied.

How has yoga benefited you?
I could go off for six hours about this one. Yoga calms my overanxious brain. Yoga has been a platform for me to exemplify and integrate discipline, attention, strength, surrender, patience, and love. My body is more resilient. My mind is better at problem solving and relaxing when it normally wants to wig out. Challenges on my mat that I have either overcome or continue to meet teach me to be patient and playful with challenges off my mat. I'm more confident in myself as a person, as a family member, and friend. It's given me a fascinating and enjoyable career. It's frankly given me a reason to be.

Why should someone who has never tried yoga try it now?
Because you'll feel better afterwards, guaranteed. Because you want to feel balanced in every regard (physically, mentally, emotionally, etc.).

What pose do you find the most challenging?
I find backbends challenging.

What are some of your non-asana interests?
Family, food and traveling.

What is your favorite thing about San Francisco?
I love that my teacher is here and accessible. I love the diversity of ethnicities and food.

What is your favorite thing about yoga mayu?
I like the owners. I like the simplicity of the space. The students are rad.

What is one thing you want everyone to know about you?
I'm extremely serious about the practice of yoga, but I think laughing is a prerequisite for really good yoga.

What is your schedule at yoga mayu?
Monday 12:30pm to 1:30pm
Wednesday 12:30pm to 1:30pm

Do you have a website?
kimsinyoga.com

If you want to get some balance in all aspects of your life, make sure you sign-up for one of Kim's great classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment