Friday, November 18, 2011

Teacher Profile: Christopher Love

If you've been practicing at yoga mayu for awhile, you've probably taken one of Christopher Love's challenging and heart-felt classes. But how well do you really know Christopher? Recently he was kind enough to answer a few questions so we can all to get to know him a little better.

Where are you from?
I grew up in North Carolina, spent some time in the midwest, and moved to the Bay Area 15 years ago.

When and why did you start practicing yoga?
I took my first class at the gym. I was hooked from the first "Om." As a psychotherapist and group leader, I was intrigued by the profound integration between body and mind. A friend urged me to begin teaching, and I've never looked back.

How long have you been teaching yoga, and where were you trained?
I've been practicing and teaching yoga soon after arriving in San Francisco 15 years ago. I am registered as an experienced teacher with the Yoga Alliance at 500 E-RYT. I received my 200-hour certification from Darren Main's training in 2002, and my 300-hour certification with Yoga Tree in 2010. I also have a master's degree in counseling, and certifications in bodywork. I am fortunate to have met and worked with many of our modern masters, exposing me to the different branches of hatha yoga today. These have included John Friend (Anusara), Anna Forrest, Guru Amrit Desai (Kripalu), Dharma Mitra, and Rod Stryker (Para Yoga). There have been numerous, gifted local teachers that have versed me in the Iyengar, Ashtanga, and Vinyasa traditions as well. My current teacher in Indian classical music is Sargam Shah.

How long have you been teaching at yoga mayu?
Nearly 3 years.

Why do you teach?
I believe human life is blessed with unique capacities that are denied by most people every day. Yoga offers a level of integration rare to many disciplines, a systematic way to encounter yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally in ways that transform your understanding of who you are. Yoga, meditation and the power of self-inquiry can resolve such great truths, freeing you to be at peace.

How has yoga benefited you?
Yoga has saved my life in countless ways, keeping my body strong and supported, and helping me to become a better human being. When I started yoga my life was in a lot of transition. Yoga helped me through these changes. This practice has also fundamentally changed my perspective of human distress and recovery, transforming the way I work with my counseling clients.

Why should someone who has never tried yoga try it now?
It's never too late to get started. Yoga in its varied forms can be practiced by anyone at any age, helping you to know your own body, mind and life in profound ways.

What pose do you find the most challenging?
I was born with flat feet, so balancing postures have provided the most challenge as I have worked on the foundation of my feet and arches.

What are some of your non-asana interests?
I am a student of Indian classical music. I play harmonium and sing mantra for yoga classes, and lead kirtan. I also live just outside the city in Mill Valley, where nature and wildlife are all around me. Working in my yard, hiking with my dog and cycling outdoors keeps me connected.

What is your favorite thing about San Francisco?
I love the opportunities for self-expression, the diversity of people, cultures and points of view. I drive over the Golden Gate bridge every week, and I am still struck by how majestic a place we live in.

What is your favorite thing about yoga mayu?
The students at Yoga Mayu are inspiring. Our focus on strong, clear vinyasa provides consistency and the opportunity to see people grow.

What is one thing you want everyone to know about you?
I have studied music, sung and played various instruments from childhood. I nearly became a professional trumpet player earlier in my life. Now I study and practice Indian classical music, play the harmonium and sing mantra every day.

What is your schedule at yoga mayu?
Tuesdays 5:00pm to 6:15pm
Thursdays 5:00pm to 6:15pm
Saturdays 11:15am to 12:45pm

Do you have a website or a newsletter people can sign-up for?
Newsletter, please email: christopher@lovechristopher.com

Now that you know all about him, make sure you sign-up for one of Christopher's classes! Like he says, "It's never too late to get started."

No comments:

Post a Comment