Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Teacher Profile: Sara Levine


If you've ever taken one of long-time yoga mayu teacher, Sara Levine's classes, you know she is fun and helpful and great at what she does. But did you know how she started teaching? Or what she loves about San Francisco? Keep reading to find out the answers to all your burning Sara-related questions:

Where are you from?
Bozeman, Montana

When and why did you start practicing yoga?
My first class was at the Estes Park Yoga Journal in 2000, but I didn't start practicing regularly until 2005 in San Francisco. I first began because a friend suggested it, and I fell in love almost instantly. It was scary, challenging, painful and totally amazing. I began a little backwards since I started in a Yin class and gradually made the move to vinyasa flow.

How long have you been teaching yoga and where were you trained?
I've been teaching for just over 3 years. I did my first 200 hour training at Yoga Tree in San Francisco. Since then I've trained another 300+ hours in prenatal, postnatal, anatomy, sequencing, mellow flow and restorative.

How long have you been teaching at yoga mayu?
Since they opened (almost 3 years ago). I took Gizella's first class to the public and asked her if I could teach at her studio. I assisted a class of hers and she gave me a job right there. I feel so blessed to have been in that place at that specific time. I can't imagine not teaching at yoga mayu.

Why do you teach?
Because it is the first thing that I have found which makes me feel alive in every moment that I am in it. I can actually say that I love my job, and I feel like I want to learn more every day. It is challenging, inspiring and profoundly simple. I also teach for my students, because they have become my closest friends. I love each of them and watching them realize their own potential is inspiring every time it happens.

Why should someone who has never tried yoga try it now?
Because they didn't try it yesterday. Have you heard the saying "try something new everyday"?

What pose do you find the most challenging?
At the moment - Twisted High Lunge. I have a hard time feeling expansive in the pose, and I am always resisting if I am asked to stay there for longer than I would like.

What are some of your non-asana interests?
Reading, anatomy, painting, food, vintage furniture shopping, things that smell good, my friends and family, brewery tours.

What is your favorite thing about San Francisco?
The food. My friends. And that I attribute my yogic story to this city.

What is your favorite thing about yoga mayu?
There is an energy in the space, that has been created by all of the past and current teachers and students. When I step into that room, I feel at home. I could be there all day.

What is you schedule at yoga mayu?
Sunday 11:15-12:45AM - Deep Flow
Monday, Wednesday 5-6:15PM - Vinyasa Flow 1-2
Monday 8:15-9:30PM - Deep Flow
Wednesday 8:15-9:30PM - Slow, Deep Flow

Want to keep up with all of Sara's classes and workshops? Check her out on Facebook or sign up for her newsletter on her website!

No comments:

Post a Comment